Thursday, December 9, 2010
Where Can I Have A Local Football Stadium
The success of the Azkals in the AFF Suzuki Cup has been a total shock and surprise to everyone. Even for the coaching staff and players. Now, with recent developments, we will be forced to have a "home" game elsewhere. I hope that the team is not discouraged with this chain of events but focus on the task at hand, which is to play against Indonesia in the semifinals. (Home-and-home is scheduled at December 16 & 19).
Given that, I was thinking about how we can get more facilities that can feasibly support a football stadium there. Here are 11 probable options we could go take a look-see.
1. Bacolod. They have the closest thing to a football stadium (Panaad) that can host such an event. Come to think of it, it already hosted the futbol matches when we hosted the SEA Games. That stadium would have been the likely place to have the home match, but the AFF said no. They have someone in politics who is a definite and genuine sports supporter / benefactor in Rep. Monico Puentevella. They also arguably have the most ardent fans of the sport in the country.
2. Iloilo. Similar to Bacolod, but my friend did tell me about the passion of the Ilonggos regarding futbol.
3. Tubod, Lanao del Norte. There is already a facility in place (the one they used for the Palarong Pambansa).
4 & 5. General Santos City, South Cotabato and Alabel, Sarangani. Quick, someone get Rep. Emmanuel Pacquiao on the phone.
6. & 7. Clark, Pampanga & Olongapo City. Hoping that the Lotto Winner (outlet where winning ticket was sold came from the area) would be kind and benevolent enough to bankroll building one.
8. Laguna. Trace College has a quality aquatic facility, so why not have a football facility. Someone suggested having it placed near Brent in Mamplasan.
9. & 10. City of Manila & Pasig City. Manila is home to the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex & Pasig is home to the Philsports Complex. Those two facilities need a major upgrade fast. Plus, it is very accessible to almost everyone.
11. Pasay City. The SM Group has long been planning to build a coliseum facility in the turf near the SM Mall of Asia. Why not go one step further and build a mega-facility instead ala LA Live. It would definitely benefit the university they own (NU).